To our knowledge, this position is still open. Please forward, post, and share widely:
Director of Environmental Equity and Justice
Center for Biological Diversity
TITLE: Director of Environmental Equity and Justice
Status: Full-time Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director|
Positions reporting to this position: One to start
Location: Tucson, LA, Oakland, DC, Portland, Raleigh, Other
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature – to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive!
The Center for Biological Diversity believes the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature — to the existence of a vast diversity of wild animals, plants and people. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law, activism and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that humans, other species and all communities need to survive and thrive. We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The root causes of extinction, habitat destruction, pollution, climate change and ruthless wildlife exploitation are also the driving forces of systematic racism and the marginalization and exploitation of human communities. We believe white supremacy is incompatible with justice and ecological balance. We cannot secure one without the other; and will secure neither as long a racism prevails. The Center’s Environmental Equity and Justice Director will work with our conservation programs, other conservation groups, justice and environmental justice groups, the media, lawmakers and agencies to secure visionary new environmental justice laws and policies, integrate environmental justice into the Center’s on-the-ground conservation campaigns, and broadly promote the importance of integrating environmental and justice work.
- Strengthen, expand and deepen environmental justice work within the Center’s conservation and communication programs.
- Develop a broad environmental justice vision for the Center and work with groups and lawmakers seeking to enact environmental justice laws and policies at the state and federal level.
- Educate the public, media, elected officials, agencies, environmental groups, recreation groups, and others about the importance of environmental justice and its essential connection to the protection of land, air, water, biological diversity and climate.
- Work with justice-centered groups, coalitions, media, elected officials and decision-makers to incorporate protection of biodiversity, habitat and climate into justice visions.
Beginning with a staff of two, the Environmental Equity and Justice Program will focus on:
Environmental Equity and Justice Vision, Legislation and Policy:
- Work with Center leaders and environmental justice advocates outside the Center to develop a broad vision of state, federal and agency policies needed to end and reverse environmental racism and classism.
- Work with justice groups, environmental justice groups, environmental groups, lawmakers and others to create new state and federal laws and policies promoting environmental justice. Often, this will mean supporting already existing environmental justice legislative and policy campaigns.
- Participate in a cross-program legal team identifying opportunities to establish legal precedents within existing environmental and civil rights laws to advance environmental justice. (Participation does not require legal expertise).
Conservation and Communication Programs:
- Work with the executive director and Executive Conservation Team to develop a vision for environmental equity and justice campaigns within the Center’s conservation and communication programs.
- Work with individual program directors (and in some cases, within-program environmental justice leads) to identify priorities, gaps and opportunities and develop concrete program plans to deepen, expand and/or initiate environmental equity and justice campaigns to be run by the program staff.
- Regularly advise program staff and leaders. Where needed, assist program staff with outreach, networking and communications.
- Educate Center supporters, the larger public, media, elected officials, agencies, environmental groups, recreation groups, and others with environmental interests about the importance of environmental justice and its essential connection to the protection of land, air, water, biological diversity and climate.
- Reach out to justice-centered groups, environmental justice groups, media, elected officials and decision-makers to expand the incorporation of biodiversity, habitat and climate protection into justice agendas.
- Demonstrated commitment to protection of land, air, water and wildlife.
- Experience working with value-driven organizations to fight for environmental justice and against white supremacist oppression, racism and colonialism.
- Existing relationships and experience working with grassroots organizations led by Black, Indigenous, and other people of color.
- Five or more years of management experience, developing and directing programs, including needs assessments, strategy development, and project management and implementation.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Experience working across lines of race, class, gender, and urban/rural to secure policy change and empowerment.
- Experience in public speaking, essay writing, media interviews and social media.
- Deep understanding of the landscape of the racial justice and economic justice movements and their intersection with conservation.
- Superior leadership, strategic thinking, and planning skills.
- Experienced communicator — ability to engage and connect the dots on complex ideas internally, ability to support our Communications department on relevant content, and ability to communicate through traditional and digital external media.
- Building and maintaining relationships within the landscape of racial justice and national environmental groups.
- An understanding of environmental values as well as how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic inequality, sexism, homophobia and other injustices.
- Proficiency in Spanish, an indigenous, or other language in addition to English preferred but not required.
Requires some long, unpredictable work hours, including some weekends; fast-paced working style and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Some travel.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be $80,000 to $110,000, commensurate with experience. Health care plan (including free optical and dental) is excellent. Generous 403(b) plan with employer contribution, paid time off, federal holidays, and paid sabbatical.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter expressing your interest, and references. Cover letters should express your understanding and experience in working within the landscape of the racial justice and economic justice movements and their intersection with conservation.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color strongly encouraged to apply.
LOCATION: Tucson, AZ
OPEN DATE: 4/8/2021
KEYWORDS: environment, justice, racism, colonialism, white supremacy, equity, BIPOC, conservation, wildlife, animals, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, climate change, extinction crisis
EOE STATEMENT: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS.