In August the Natural Hazard Mitigation Association was pleased to present the “Natural Hazards Legal Workshop” in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This workshop, held in cooperation with the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA), brought together local experts as well as national professionals in engineering, planning, architecture and law with a goal of creating more resilient communities. Presentations were given on a range of topics to provide a integral legal grounding in the continuing effort towards sustainable development amid an environment of changing disaster threats. Presenting experts included: Edward A. Thomas, Esq.; Barry Hokanson, AICP; Lincoln Walther, FAICP; and Michele Adams, PE.
- August 5-6 Workshop Program (pdf)
- Introduction to the Legal Issues: Ed Thomas, Esq. (pdf 6.1MB)
- Design for Hazard Mitigation:Barry Hokanson, AICP and Link Walther, FAICP (pdf 2MB)
- Property Rights and Floodplain Management: Ed Thomas, Esq. (pdf 8.9MB)
- Linkages with Community Planning: Barry Hokanson, AICP and Link Walther, FAICP (pdf 4.9MB)
- The Koontz Case and best practices: Ed Thomas, Esq. (pdf 5.2MB)