Planner – Risk Communication, Floodplain Management and Community Planning/Denton TX
Michael Baker International is looking for individuals with experience in risk communication, floodplain management and community planning to work closely with a variety of stakeholder groups to communicate tailored flood risk information and design in cooperation with local stakeholder’s mitigation strategies and actions.
The planner will help develop and manage stakeholder relationships that increase flood risk awareness and reduce flood risk at the community level. This includes the development and implementation of new tools and practices that assist our client in executing community engagement and outreach. This candidate will assist our client prepare for and execute community meetings with the use of communications collateral. The ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills coupled with experience in mitigation planning (preparing mitigation plans preferred) and/or the National Flood Insurance Program (policy and guidance).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Communications, Geography or related fields
- 5-years of post-Bachelor’s related experience- a related graduate degree may substitute for 3 years of experience
- Knowledge and experience in implementing/supporting FEMA programs with preference given for mitigation based programs and/or preparation of community based comprehensive plans inclusive of risk mitigation approaches
- Experience in preparing and executing stakeholder meetings (in-person or virtually) , FEMA experience preferred
- Ability to travel to locations within the Region (Estimated travel greater than 50%)
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide array of individuals from various backgrounds, including engineers, planners, community officials, GIS professionals, state and federal government officials, and the public
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and in simple and effective ways
Experience in establishing and managing key stakeholder relationships Preferences:
- CFM Certification
- Knowledge of hazard mitigation actions that reduce flood risk in communities
- Experience with NFIP or Hazard Mitigation programs of FEMA
- Community planning experience
- Customer Relationship Management experience Other:
- Proven verbal, written, and presentation communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving abilities
- Ability to work independently as well as be part of a team
A cover letter is unnecessary, but your resume should reflect experience outlined in the job description. Send resume to Shannon Burke at email@example.com.