Subject: You’re Invited: “A Seismic Shift in Perception” on May 19!
Good morning, all –
On Wednesday, May 19, FEMA’s Resilient Nation Partnership Network, in partnership with the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program(NEHRP), will be hosting a Resilience Exchange on seismic risk and we hope you can join us!
Titled “A Seismic Shift in Perception: Taking Bold Steps to Mitigate Earthquake Risk,” this 1.5 hour virtual event will feature a powerhouse panel to explore the many facets of seismic risk, including:
- How is earthquake risk perceived?
- How can we finance activities that reduce earthquake impacts at the state, local, tribal, territorial, commercial and residential levels?
- What barriers do we face implementing creative solutions for seismic retrofits?
- How can we leverage collaborative partnerships to mitigate earthquake risk on a national scale?
This event will be moderated by Dr. David Applegate, Ph.D., Associate Director for Natural Hazards Exercising the Delegated Authority of the Director at the U.S. Geological Survey. Panelists will include:
- Jessica Chappell, SE, Vice-Chair, Utah Seismic Safety Commission
- Shelly Haack, Project Manager, Prosper Portland
- Rong-Gong Lin II, Staff Writer, Los Angeles Times (specializes in earthquake safety issues)
- Mark Wilbert, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Charleston, S.C.
The event will take place from 12-1:30 PM ET and we invite you to partake in this robust discussion highlighting seismic risk on a national scale. For more information or to register, please click here or email us at FEMA-ResilientNation@fema.dhs.gov. Additionally, we welcome you to share this event with your colleagues and peers.
We hope to see you on May 19!
Jon Foster, CFM
Earthquake Program Manager | Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration | Resilience
Office: (202) 212-7852 | Mobile: (202) 717-1601
Federal Emergency Management Agency