Click here to view Expanding Mitigation Partnerships Webinar (12-2-20) as a PDF.
Expanding Mitigation Partnerships, Promoting Resilient and Equitable Communities
Wednesday, December 2, 2020 | 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. EST
Hazard mitigation seeks to increase the resiliency of communities by designing and deploying long-term solutions that reduce the impact of disasters in the future. Risk reduction projects can break the cycle of disaster damage, reconstruction and repeated damage. In an era where the Nation is facing unprecedented risk from natural hazards, pandemics and economic disruption — it is essential for mitigation to elevate equity and community participation, while also addressing other community needs like public health, municipal funding and housing.
In this session we will introduce the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)’s Guides to Expanding Mitigation, produced to highlight innovative and emerging partnerships for mitigation that can be achieved at the local, state and federal level and can be used to support new programs like BRIC. The guides show how communities can implement hazard mitigation projects and planning by engaging other sectors; supporting FEMA’s goal of building a culture of preparedness, as part of the agency’s strategic plan and are strategic tools for community risk reduction and mitigation planning.
We will be joined by leadership from FEMA, HUD (Pending) and Enterprise Community Partners to discuss strategic program and funding opportunities to promote equitable and resilient communities across the nation.
- Angela Gladwell, Director, Hazard Mitigation Assistance/Mitigation Directorate,
Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration/Resilience
- Jennifer Carpenter, Assistant Director of Policy for the Disaster Recovery & Special Issues Division, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Marion McFadden, Senior Vice President, Public Policy & Senior Advisor, Resilience
- Laurie Schoeman, National Director, Resilience and Disaster Recovery
- Kelly Pflicke, Resiliency Specialist, FEMA Region 2
11000 Broken Land Parkway | Suite 700 | Columbia, MD 21044