- Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM) The Association of State Floodplain Managers has developed an estimate, based on a careful analysis, of the total cost to provide floodplain mapping for every community in the nation based on the parameters specified in the BW-12. The report explaining the study and cost estimates can be on ASFPM NFIP page on their website or downloaded here.
- Association of State Flood Plain Managers (ASFPM): No Adverse Impacts (NAI) How-To Guide
- Association of State Flood Plain Managers (ASFPM): No Adverse Impacts (NAI) How-To Guides
- Coastal Flood Maps Fact Sheet [pdf]
- Emergency Preparedness for Levees [pdf]
- Explanation of rate changes for flood insurance – This is from the Montana HighGround Newsletter (June 2021). It is a good explanation of rate changes for flood insurance
- FEMA Community Engagement and Risk Communication (CERC): Think Beyond Flood Maps – a story map highlighting communities that use FEMA data for more than floodplain management ordinances.
- FEMA Region III: Reducing Risk in the Floodplain Guide
- NHMA: Biggert Article
- NFIP Community Status Book – Find out which communities in your state participate in the NFIP, when they entered, and the dates of their first and current Effective FIRM.
- National Flood Insurance Program
- National Hydrologic Warning Council
- State NFIP Coordinators – The Association of State Floodplain Managers. State coordinators will know their local floodplain administrators.
- Storm Smart Coasts (stormsmartcoast.org)
- Swale construction and benefits video
- From the International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction – High Resolution approach to quantify the impact of building-level flood risk mitigation and adaptation measures on flood losses at the community level
Community Ratings Systems
- Calumet City Plan
- Birmingham Stormwater Plan
- Example Plans
- Roseville Mitigation Plan
- North Myrtle Beach Plan
Find information on how to protect your home at
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes – http://www.flash.org/
- FEMA- The History of Building Elevation in New Orleans
- Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety – http://disastersafety.org/
- “Elevation 101″ Seminar – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kamVQ47CtJE
- Extension Disaster Education Network – http://eden.lsu.edu/Topics/Hazards/Pages/default.aspx
- Safer, Stronger, Smarter – http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/family_home/home/design_construction/Safer+Stronger+Smarter/